My Book: "The Classic Nude in 3D"
In early 2004 I decided to put together a collection of nudes as stereo views (3D). The motivations for this project were to raise money for the 3D Center in Portland and to demonstrate that it is possible to create non-sexist and artistic nudes in 3D. This latter point is significant because we see so many "pin-up" style nudes in stereo photo competitions. Here are a few sample images:
Thus began what turned out to be quite a journey for me. The photography, of course, was both exhausting and satisfying. But I put as much effort into researching and writing an introductory essay titled "The Historical and Cultural Significance of the Stereoscopic Nude." There is also a section that discusses the photographic techniques I used, most of which would apply to traditional "flat" photography as well as stereo photography.
Although printing took longer than expected and I could not afford to do extensive test prints, I am quite pleased with the quality of reproduction. Even when viewed as close as possible to still see the stereo effect the images appear sharp and halftone dots are not visible. Tonal gradations are smooth and complete, although not as rich as my inkjet prints. Most importantly, offset printing provides a much "cleaner" image than the best I have done with a laser printer.
The book can be ordered by e-mailing me (click here).
Reviews of "The Classic Nude in 3D":
"A stereo photo like 'Photonic Sculpture' is reminiscent of the work of Henry Moore or Constantin Brancusi. The luminous reductionism of Edward Weston's (2D) black and white photography is also invoked. Marshall is ingenious in having his models build variegated lines with their bodies, as with 'Cascade' or linear simplicity as with the stereo photo titled 'Peace.' "
["Reinventing the Nude," Ray Zone, Stereoscopy, Series 2, Number 60, Dec. 2004]
"Marshall appreciates and accepts the limits, contradictions, and challenges imposed by this rather specific artistic form, all the while plotting and guiding its expansion into the third dimension. ... About 70% of the images are outstanding examples of just how effectively 'classic' nude photography can be accomplished in 3-D, while the remaining 30% are good attempts that suffer only when compared to the others."
["Nudging a Classic Genre into the Third Dimension," John Dennis, Stereo World, Vol. 30, Number 5]